October is the month for candy, but it’s also the beginning of baking season. I usually don’t start baking any fun goodies until December, so I’m getting ahead this year by making a Spooky & Sweet Halloween Mix!
I wanted to make a festive, easy Halloween treat, but I didn’t want something too sweet since we’ll have plenty of candy in the house for trick-or-treaters. This easy Halloween trail mix was the perfect answer! It has all the best elements – candy, chocolate, saltiness, crunchiness and sweetness. You can’t tell from the photos, but there’s a sweet, buttery, caramel-like sauce drizzled over the mix. YUM! And how adorable are these little spooky pretzels? These little guys were inspired by Dessert Now, Dinner Later’s ghost pretzels recipe.
This Sweet & Spooky Halloween Mix took about an hour and a half total to make and cost me less than $15 to make. Once I drizzled the sauce over the Chex cereal and bugles, I baked them to get their crunch back. After those pieces finished baking, I let them cool before starting on the chocolate drizzle and chocolate pretzels. I completely cheated on the chocolate covered pretzels – I bought chocolate covered pretzels from Kroger! (And, I got them for a dollar each!) You could definitely make your own chocolate pretzels, especially because you buy chocolate/vanilla coating for this recipe anyways. However, I’m lazy and didn’t want to fool with it. 🙂
I melted two pieces of my vanilla candy coating, then added green food coloring. I poured this chocolate into two of the holes within a pretzel to act as glue for the candy eyes. (I found the candy eyes on the bottom shelf of the cake decorating section at the grocery store. Just note that one box of candy eyes will not be enough to give eyes to all your pretzels. But, I didn’t mind.) After adhering the eyes, I drizzled the remaining green chocolate onto the mix. If you’re looking for easy Halloween treats – or maybe even a Halloween trail mix specifically – this Spooky & Sweet Halloween Mix is a perfect fit! Here’s the ingredients you’ll need:
Ingredients: Spooky & Sweet Halloween Mix
- 1/2 bag of rice (or Chex) cereal
- 1 bag of Bugles
- About 2 cups candy corn
- About 4 cups chocolate pretzels (I used a mix of white and milk chocolate.)
- 1 box candy eyes
- Vanilla candy coating or white chocolate for melting
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Green food coloring
Instructions: Spooky & Sweet Halloween Mix
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Combine Bugles and rice cereal in large bowl or pan.
- Melt butter, then mix with brown sugar and vanilla to create sauce.
- Pour sauce into cereal/Bugle mixture and mix well.
- Spread cereal/Bugle mixture in thin layers across baking sheets. (You can line with parchment paper, but I didn’t.)
- Bake cereal/Bugle mixture for about 45 minutes, or until crunchy, while stirring ever 15 minutes or so.
- Let cereal/Bugle mixture cool on parchment paper or foil.
- Sprinkle candy corn into the mixture, and place all pretzels onto separate parchment paper or foil.
- Melt 2 blocks of chocolate per package instructions, then add green food coloring once melted.
- Put the green chocolate into pretzel holes and top with a candy eye.
- Drizzle the rest of the green chocolate onto all parts of the mixture. (You may want to move your pretzels over with the mix, but I didn’t.)
- *Optional: Melt one more block of chocolate, then drizzle white chocolate over the mixture as well.
- Once the chocolate hardens, it’s ready to eat!
This Spooky & Sweet Halloween trail mix makes a fun and easy Halloween treat! Whether you take a container to the office or send individual baggies to your kid’s school, this recipe won’t disappoint!