I’m always trying to come up with yummy, easy and budget-friendly lunch ideas. I like making dishes that result in lots of servings because they create nearly a week full of lunches. I can pack a to-go lunch for Jake, and then I just heat my serving since I work from home.
Last week, I made tortellini and roasted veggies in pesto sauce – and it was so delicious! It was perfect for our weekday lunches. (Of course, it would suffice as a somewhat easy week night dinner, too. It’s just not one of those things you can prepare and leave while it cooks.) My only regret is that I should have doubled up on my veggies. The dish was pretty tortellini heavy, so adding two zucchinis, two squashes and two packs of mushrooms would have made it a little healthier. (Plus, the extra veggies would have allowed it to last a few more servings, aka, lunches.) But, we don’t eat pasta often, so I’m not complaining this time! For now, I’m including the extra veggies in the recipe/ingredients below so your dish will be even yummier than mine. 😊
This recipe for tortellini and roasted veggies in pesto sauce is served warm and garnished with parmesan cheese. I also served it with a piece of buttered, baked French bread. Recipe below!
Tortellini and Roasted Veggies in Pesto Sauce
- 1 large container of cheese tortellini
- 1 container of pesto sauce
- 2 zucchini squashes
- 2 yellow squashes
- 1 container grape tomatoes
- 1 to 2 packs of mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Boil water per instructions on tortellini.
- Slice zucchini, squash and mushrooms, place onto cookie sheet and toss in olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Bake zucchini, squash and mushrooms for 10 minutes.
- Remove veggies and add grape tomatoes (halved) and minced garlic to cookie sheet.
- Put all veggies back into oven for another 10 minutes or until tomatoes are soft.
- Cook tortellini according to package instructions.
- Remove veggies from oven.
- Drain tortellini.
- Combine veggies and tortellini, and stir in pesto sauce. (I used the entire container.)
- Serve and top with parmesan cheese.